Delicious & healthy vegetarian/vegan dishes with an international flair!

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Italian: Pita pizzas


Pizza is an all time, all around favorite. Everyone who eats with me are always happy to have a pizza night. I won't deny it, I get hit with the pizza cravings every month or so and homemade pizzas are the way I get my fix. I like to make 'em from scratch- from the whole wheat crust to the herb-rich tomato sauce. And in a future post, I'll share this time-consuming endeavor. Sometimes, though, I just want a quick fix and skip the homemade crust altogether. Instead, I use locally made whole grain pita bread for the crust and make a shortcut pizza sauce.

Shortcut (No-Cook) Pizza Sauce (for 3-4 pita pizzas)
16 oz can of tomato puree
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. onion powder
1 t. Italian seasoning
1/2 t. dried basil
1/8 t. black pepper
1/8 t. dried red chili flakes
1/2 t. Spike all-purpose seasoning

Blend all ingredients, pour into a sealable container, and store in the fridge overnight to let the flavors marry.

Pita Pizzas
3-4 pita rounds (lightly brushed with olive oil on one side)
1 batch Shortcut Pizza Sauce
2-3 c. grated mozzarella cheese
2-3 c. toppings of your choice (I used portabella mushrooms, purple onion, red bell pepper, and black olives)

Place the pita breads on a pizza pan with the oiled side down.
Spread the sauce on each round.








Sprinkle on a thin layer of cheese.
Sprinkle on the toppings.
Sprinkle on a top layer of cheese.














Bake for 15-20 min (depending on how crispy you like your crust)



Cut & enjoy!! I love to top my pizzas with jalapeƱos.



No comments:

Post a Comment