Delicious & healthy vegetarian/vegan dishes with an international flair!

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Chocolate Almond Truffles


I have always enjoyed cooking. I remember being about 10 yrs. old and trying to make a veggie casserole with a recipe from a cookbook. I don't think it came out well but I had fun trying :P


One of my favorite ways to pass time with friends is to throw a dinner party. I truly enjoy making food and sharing it more than actually eating it, really! -although I do love me some tasty grub ;)

I have always found time to make goodies in the kitchen. In my mid-20's, I learned about healthful eating with a diet high in raw fruits & veggies. I integrated this knowledge into the dishes I began preparing and started having more fun!

I moved to Mexico a couple of years ago and life here has presented me with the opportunity to pursue my passion for the culinary arts. I am able to spend more time in the kitchen and with the aide of hired help, we cook up some magic in the kitchen. I have even been making fab dark chocolate treats!

I am starting my very own foodie blog to journal what my culinary passion is creating these days. To kick off, here is a taste of the chocolate almond truffles my kitchen girl and I made yesterday. Enjoy!


Chocolate Almond Truffles


1 cup pitted and chopped medjool dates

2 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/2 t. vanilla extract

1/2 t. almond extract

1/4 c. chopped toasted almonds

1/4 c. almonds ground into powder in a blender or coffee grinder (for coating)

  • Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler. Stir in the vanilla & almond extracts.
  • Add the dates into a food processor. Pour the chocolate in and process until a ball of dough forms.
  • Place the ball of dough in a bowl and knead in the chopped almonds.
  • Spread the almond powder on a plate.
  • Take about 1 tablespoon of the dough, form a ball, and roll in the plate of almond powder evenly coating.
  • Arrange the truffle balls on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper. Place the cookie sheet with the finished truffles in the fridge for an hour to firm them up. You can then store them in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment