Delicious & healthy vegetarian/vegan dishes with an international flair!

Friday, June 4, 2010

Indian: Rajma & Veggie Korma


Breakfast: fresh o.j./mango/strawberry smoothie- what a great start to the day!
Lunch: mango/banana smoothie- rich & satisfying
Dinner: Big salad

-followed by Indian food! Rajma, veggie korma, brown basmati rice, and handmade corn tortillas (in lieu of rotis/chapathis)

When cooking Indian meals, I get to draw from all that my mother has taught me and use the spices she sent me since I can't get them down here in Mexico. I also discovered two online cooking shows that have helped me lots in making tasty Indian dishes: Show Me the Curry and Vah Re Vah

Internet zindabad! :D

Rajma
For Rajma, I used Chef Sanjay's recipe from VahReVah.com.


2 c. cooked kidney beans + bean water

1 T. ghee

1 onion finely diced

1/4 t. cumin seed

1/2 t. garam masala pwdr

1 t. ginger garlic paste

3 small tomatoes finely diced

1 green chili minced

1 1/2 T. coriander pwdr

1/4 t. chili pwdr

1 t. methi pwdr

Salt to taste

1/4 c. chopped cilantro leaves

  • Heat ghee in pan and add cumin seeds.
  • When popped & cracked, add the onion and cook till slightly brown.
  • Add garam masala powder and g&g paste, cook for a few min.
  • Next add a little of the bean water, coriander powder, green chili, & tomatoes. Cook covered until everything is broken down.
  • Add salt, chili powder, methi powder, and kidney beans, and cook for 15 min on low flame.
  • Add cilantro leaves and serve.

It's fairly easy. I always measure out the spices beforehand so the cooking process flows smoothly while adding the spices in at the right time. Here's how it came out:

Veggie Korma


Chopped veggies (carrot, green beans, cauliflower, green peas, potato, red bell pepper)~ 3-4 cups

Ghee -1 tablespoon

Mustard seeds -1 teaspoon

Onion - 1 big finely chopped

Ginger -1" piece finely chopped

Ginger-garlic paste - 1 teaspoon

Bay leaf- 1

Chopped green chili - to your preferred spiciness

Tomatoes- 1 cup diced

Coriander powder 1 1/2 teaspoon

Garam masala - 1 teaspoon

Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon

Salt to taste

Coconut milk- 1/2 cup

Patak's Korma Curry Sauce- 1 jar

1/4 c. chopped cilantro leaves


1. Pre-cook your veggies by either steaming on the stove or in the microwave.

2. In a thick bottom vessel, heat oil and splutter mustard seeds.

3. Add bay leaf, onions, ginger and g&g paste one by one and fry for 3-4 min. Onion should not turn a brown color.

4. Add the spices, salt, diced tomatoes, and fry for few more mins.

5. Add the coconut milk and Patak's Korma sauce. Mix well and cook covered on low for five minutes.

6. Slowly add the veggies, stirring to coat with sauce.

7. Once the veggies are all coated, continue to cook for 5-10 minutes.

8. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro leaves before serving.






A side note about using Patak's Korma Curry sauce. I have found the Patak's line of curry pastes & sauces to be immensely helpful in creating Indian dishes with an authentic flavor in less time. It's a shortcut I appreciate. I still use my own spices but this just adds to the overall flavor. For me, part of running a successful kitchen is finding quality products that enhance and provide ease to my food prep experience. I will continue to highlight my faves in future posts.



I had a good time teaching Mari how to make Indian food. I love sharing exotic, foreign flavors with the locals.


After an afternoon of preparing the food, I thoroughly enjoyed my plate- YUM!


Rajma, veg korma, brown basmati, & handmade corn tortilla


No comments:

Post a Comment